Thanksgiving is right around the corner, and if you’re anything like me the sides are the most important part. I mean turkey is great and all, but your plate is mostly full of sides. For me it doesn’t matter how good that turkey is if the sides don’t compliment it well and taste just as delicious! So today I wanted to share one of my favorites. Broccoli Cheese casserole is something always on our holiday table. What’s great about it is with a few changes it can even be a fairly healthy family dinner year round.
- 4 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 (10 ounce) can of cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup of butter melted (1/2 stick)
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 sleeve of Ritz crackers, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350*F
- Place broccoli in a steaming basket on stove and steam for 5 minutes or until broccoli is tender to a fork.
- Remove broccoli from stove and chop into bite sized pieces. Place into a medium size mixing bowl.
- Add to broccoli, soup, mayonnaise, butter, eggs, onion, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add 3/4 cup of cheese to broccoli mixture and mix well.
- Pour entire contents into an 8x8" square baking dish.
- Top with remaining 3/4 cup of cheese and Ritz crackers.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and top is golden.
To make this a fairly healthy family dinner, I change the mayo to greek yogurt, change the soup to chicken stock, and leave out the crackers! Then I put some chicken on the side or mix it all in for a chicken casserole. easy peasy!
What is on your menu for Thanksgiving this year? We’re hosting so I’m thinking 2 green vegetables, 2 not green vegetables, turkey, stuffing, rolls, and lots of desserts! Maybe a salad for an appetizer. Our family is pretty easy . . . as long as you have the sides they want! But I always like to try and expand their tastes, and maybe even make it healthier! So send all your recs.