I love – lurve – coming up with interesting ways to change up my favorite recipes. Adding a little beer to the chilli, baking asparagus instead steaming it, or adding some breadcrumbs to your favorite burgers. Today’s recipe is another quick and simple update for a classic recipe that takes the taste up a notch without adding any time or stress.
Fire Roasted Stuffed Shells
- 20 jumbo shells
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 8 oz fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 8 oz of your favorite tomato sauce
- 1 lb. sausage or ground beef
- Boil a large pot of water and add your pasta. Cook according to the package directions. Drain the noodles and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spread 1/3 cup of your tomato sauce and 1/3 cup of fire roasted tomatoes in the bottom of a 9×9 dish.
- Add the uncooked sausage to a hot pan. Cook until browned. Stir in 2/3 of tomato sauce and fire roasted tomatoes and set aside.
- In a small bowl stir together the ricotta, 1/2 a cup of mozzarella, Parmesan, egg, and spinach. Spread one tablespoon of the cheese mixture into each shell. Top with a heaping amount of the sausage. Place in your dish and continue with the remaining shells. Smoother in the remaining 1/3 cup of sauce and sprinkle with left over mozzarella.
- Bake, covered, for 20 minutes. Remove the lid and cook an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.