My husband and I prefer pies and cookies over cakes. Four years ago, this would have been a big deal to many people – WHO DOESN’T LIKE CAKE!? – but I feel like we’ve all finally come out of hiding and there are many of us who freely admit to not liking cake. It’s not even that I don’t like cake. I just prefer pies or cookies. So last weekend for his birthday I decided to make a chocolate cheese cake pie that I have in my repertoire. That pie is delicious, and I hadn’t made it for awhile so I was really looking forward to surprising him with it. I like to cheat and buy pre made pie crust, but this time around . . . I accidentally bought pastry crust. And so a new dessert was born – Chocolate Cream Cheese Pastry.
Here’s what you’ll need . . .
pre made frozen pastry crust
1 package instant chocolate pudding
4 oz cream cheese (or go ahead and do 8 oz if you really like cream cheese)
3 tablespoons sugar
cool whip and strawberries for topping (optional)
And here’s how to whip it up . . .
1. Cook your pastry crust per the package instructions
2. While it’s in the oven, add the pudding mix to 1 1/2 cups of milk.
3. Once the pudding is thick, mix cream cheese with sugar.
4. While the pastry crust cools, chop up a few strawberries.
5. Once the pastry crust is cooled, spread the cream cheese mixture on one layer of pastry crust. Place 2nd piece of pastry crust on cream cheese mixture, then spread chocolate on top of that layer. Place last piece of pastry on top of chocolate.
6. Add cool whip and strawberries to top – as much or as little as you’d like.