Hello Butcher’s Niche Readers!!
I’m Faith and I blog over at Life w/ Mrs G & the Artist. I’ve been blogging for a little over 5 years and I love it! Life w/ Mrs G & the Artist is a lifestyle blog where I blog about life, love & marriage, my walk with my Jesus, books reviews, some DIY & recipes and we throw in some blogging stuff every once in a while too. However, my heart for the blog is creating a community where women can have authentic & real discussions of things that are heavy on their heart. A place where they can come and be uplifted and encouraged by women that are going though the same thing or have been through the same things and can help them through the tough situations and pray for them.
When Bex asked me to be her guest and to talk a little about marriage I was so excited. LG & I have been married for 13 years and I’m still learning what makes a good marriage work but I have a figured out a few things that I would like to share with you if you don’t mind. 🙂 Marriage is definitely hard work … I love LG and I love our life together but if anyone ever tells you that marriage isn’t hard or that you don’t have to work at it every day … I give you permission to slap them! Ha!
So marriage is hard … but just because it’s hard doesn’t mean it isn’t rewarding. Marriage can be very rewarding as long as you remember a few things … they are what I like to call the rules of marriage. Now everyone might not agree with me but these are the things that I have found make my marriage work. I’m working on hanging this where I can see it because I’m human and let’s face it … I need reminded!!
Now as I said … these may not apply to everyone but they have been what works for LG and our marriage. A couple of the big ones that I have to constantly remind myself of are these …
1. Be the first to say I’m sorry. Now you may not think that this would be a hard one for me because I usually have an easy going, go with the flow temperament but IT’S HARD!! When we argue I get very upset and I have to talk and talk until I get it all out and LG is the complete opposite and so it makes for a frustrating argument and when I get so upset and I don’t think he is seeing my point … the last thing I want to do is be the first to say I’m sorry because frankly … I don’t think I’m wrong. Has anyone ever had that thought? ha! Well, if you haven’t I want to sit down and have a conversation with you. Help me! ha! But if I’m honest with myself … on the times that I’m willing to forgive and say I’m sorry first, I feel so much better.
2. Never bring up past mistakes. Sadly, and I’ve had to ask for forgiveness so many times from God and from LG because I do this. I don’t always do it and I’ve gotten better in recent years but … I’m human and sometimes that ugliness rears it’s head and I spit out something spiteful and hurtful from the past because I’m angry and frustrated and not communicating like I need to. Did you see what I did there? I’m not communicating. I’ve not let something go from the past or I’ve not forgiven something that’s in the past … It’s on me. I have to forgive and let that go and not bring it into the present if I want my marriage to work and survive and be successful.
3. Well … actually #7 & 8 kind of go hand and hand for me. I think if you put your spouse first before anything else you won’t have a problem with taking them for granted. I don’t do this a lot but LG and I are very busy people. We both have full time jobs and then I have my blog & he has boards that he sits on and we both have responsibilities at church. Sometimes, we have been guilty of putting all that stuff before doing date nights together, or having dinner as a family, or taking vacations. And we have just realized that for our marriage to work and be successful … we can’t do that. We can’t let other things be first. We have to make each other a priority and since we started doing that … it has been great for our marriage and we don’t take each other for granted as much. There are still the occasional slip-up but nothing like it used to be.
So that is it for me. Those are my rules for a happy & strong marriage and I hope these tips work for you. What are some rules/tips you have for making YOUR marriage the best it can be? I would love to hear what you have to say. Leave a comment and let me know your thoughts.
WANT TO READ MORE?
I would love for you to stop by and say Hello! Life w/ Mrs G & the Artist is designed to be an authentic place where you can find encouragement and strength. If you would like to follow along, feel free!
Twitter, Bloglovin, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest
Here are some of my favorite Marriage posts you might enjoy. 🙂
– 5 ways to earn your husband’s trust.
– Silent “I love you’s” from your Husband.
– What does your husband need to hear from you?
– 7 ways to make marriage fun.