11 years ago at the age of 18, I went to New York with my very conservative sister. We were walking through Times Square and got stopped at a street corner. At this particular street corner, there was a lovely lady with very high heels and a very short skirt selling sunglasses. She stepped up to me and asked if I wanted a pair. I told her I really liked the ones she was wearing. She said they weren’t for sale. Disappointed, I said ‘ok’ and turned away. A few seconds passed and she came back and said ‘fine you can have them for $20’. A huge smile came over my face I handed over my $20, took the sunglasses from her, and put them directly on my face to the dismay and disgust of my sister. My nephew who at the time was 9 years old laughed and laughed at his mothers disgust having no idea I had just purchased sunglasses from a lady of the night. If I’m being completely honest it took about a week for me to realize what exactly had gone down, but at that point the sunglasses had become my favorites. And who am I to judge? 11 years later, I still rock these bad boys on a regular basis even tho they do nothing to protect my eyes from the sun – they’re solely for style.
There are lots of thoughts on what sunglasses look good on what face shapes, but if you want to hear my opinion – I think it more has to do with how you carry the sunnies you’ve chosen to wear than the shape of your face. Sure, round frames will make a round face look even rounder. If you have a small face the smaller the sunglasses you need. But I think, if you like them and feel comfortable in them . . . buy them and wear them out.
1. Wayfarer/Rayban – They’re iconic for a reason, and look good on most face shapes (if you’re worried about that)
2. Aviator – Everybody looks good in an aviator. They’re just so classically cool.
3. Cat-eye – Classic, retro. Every woman wants to accentuate her eyes, and rightfully so.
4. Jackie -O – Sometimes you just need to hide behind your sunnies.
5. Party Pair – Maybe they don’t look so good on your face, maybe they’re a super bright color – but every time you put them on you grab a cocktail and your party pants.
6. Designers – I believe it’s better to have good quality yet cheaper sunnies so you can have many pairs, but every girl deserves to have her one designer pair to remind her she’s worth it.
7. Statement – Once in awhile it’s nice to have a pair to wear that say ‘This bright color/pattern/embellishment is a little crazy and so am I. I mean I did buy these on a street corner in New York”
What are your favorite pair of sunglasses?