Design, DIY

the one about our new floors

When we first bought our house I was disgusted by the carpets in the living room – I also just didn’t want carpets in the majority of my house. The hubs and I knew we wanted the appearance of hardwood. I don’t think I have to explain why – it’s classic and never goes out of style. Obviously the real thing was our first choice, but right now it’s just not in our wheel house. After coming to that conclusion we had 2 features that were most important to us – does it look fake and how durable is it?
photo 5 (4)
After LOTS of research and looking at all sorts of floor – engineered hardwoods, laminate, ceramic tile, etc. We settled on Allen and Roth 12mm laminate in Toasted chestnut from Lowes (it’s not listed on their website to purchase – but 2 weeks ago it was so maybe I just can’t find it). The finished product is amazing and completely changes the look of the house! There are tons of blogs out there about how to install so I didn’t want to share the process. This isn’t our first rodeo with laminate flooring so instead I’m just going to share of few photos of our process and some tips we’ve figured out over the years.
floors1
First, and this is probably most important, buy a house with square rooms. Of course I’m kidding, but just know that if you plan on installing new floors in a room with lots of angles or features like a fireplace or strange corners the job gets much harder. We have a small hallway with some strange angles and doorjambs, and it took us about as long to floor as the entire master bedroom which is almost perfectly square.
floors6
Secondly, you need to have the right tools. Hardware stores sell kits for installing flooring and you’ll need one of them. You’ll also need a table saw for cutting boards lengthwise against the side of your room, and a jigsaw for cutting unique shapes to go around corners or doorjambs
floors3
Finally, I highly suggest buying the little sample pieces they sell at the store. Take it home, set it out, and think over your decision. We thought we’d picked out the perfect design, but after a week or so of it sitting on our kitchen counter the hubs started to think it wasn’t the right one. On the display at the store it looked cool, but once I gave in and we looked again we decided the pattern looked like the flooring version of an over-the-hill actor with six pack abs painted on himself with spray tan… fake. The floors we ended up with are perfect and we couldn’t be happier!
floors2
photo (29)
Have you ever installed laminate floors before?
Share on
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

10 Comments

• Reply Leslie

I’m loving those floors! My parents put hardwood down in their house and it’s so much easier to clean when i’m over there and I spill something, I’m clumsy. Hehe. I hope your having a great Thursday!

September 18, 2014 at 10:05 am
  • Reply ashley

Those floors are gorgeous ma’am!

September 18, 2014 at 10:32 am
    • Reply Bex Stark

thanks ladies!

September 18, 2014 at 10:44 am
  • Reply Breenah

I love how it looks!

September 28, 2014 at 12:06 pm
  • Reply Sandy

Hi, Bex, I was wondering if you still like your Allen & Roth Toasted Chestnut floors? I’m considering it, but just not sure because I can’t find much about Allen & Roth online. Mostly negative. But I love the Lowe’s sample in store. I found you by googling Toasted Chestnut laminate. LOL. Any info is appreciated! Thanks.

May 1, 2015 at 9:05 pm
    • Reply Bex Stark

Hi Sandy! We still love it. My husband and I lived with it for 6 months and had no problems with it at all. It’s beautiful, easy to clean, and very sturdy. Our friends are renting the house from us now (we moved to Florida). They have 2 dogs (which we didn’t) and it’s still doing very well. I saw some negative reviews before we purchased also. They mostly said that it was hard to install, but we didn’t have that problem. Good luck!

May 4, 2015 at 8:49 am
  • Reply Jenny

We are looking at laying the Allen & Roth toasted chestnut floors throughout our house. Concerned that it is going to show dust easily due to its dark color. How well does it hide dirt and dust?

July 2, 2015 at 9:42 pm
    • Reply Bex Stark

I think it did pretty well hiding the dirt. I only had to spot clean and then fully clean them every other week. It was just my husband and I in the house – no pets or children. But our nieces and nephews were over a lot and we had skylights that would have shown any dust very easily.

July 6, 2015 at 12:05 pm
  • Reply David

Hi there,
    I also found you by googling the product name. I’m also interested in buying this flooring, but I’m wondering how it has held up for you since it’s been almost 3 years now. Thanks!

May 28, 2017 at 10:21 pm
    • Reply Bex Stark

Hi David! We lived here for almost a year – no dogs, no kids, and loved the floors before we moved. We had an unexpected and quick move so we rented the house to some friends instead of selling. They had 2 dogs and 1 child and she told me constantly she was so happy we had put these in. They were easy to clean even with everything going on. There were no scratches from her dogs even tho they tried hard :). We sold the house this past January and the floors were a huge selling point. The house was empty on closing day – the last time I saw it – and they still looked new.

May 29, 2017 at 9:47 am