the one about the office

the one about the office

Our office in our current – for 1 more day current –  apartment is just not really what I need in an office – when I do a craft I usually end up going to the dining room table even though I have a designated area in my office.

With blogging and the virtual assistant business I’m getting started up (more on that later) I’m going to need a place I like to be in. My husband also needs a good space for his financial interest stuff  (all I know is about what pertains to me, don’t hate) and mostly he needs a place to store the macbook so I don’t trip over the powercord in the living room anymore – yes Mr. Stark you read that right.

So the office in the new house will be the 2nd room that gets most of my attention. The rooms that will be most of my attention first you can check out here. Those rooms we mostly already have the stuff for, and what we don’t have doesn’t cost a ton. So I’ll be able to knock them out once the floors are done with some paint and décor. The office is right on the same page – most of it we already have and what we don’t have won’t cost a ton . . . but I have no idea where to start in here.

Here’s what I do know . . .

We have an old dresser with lots of drawers that we have no use for – it’s being painted a fun outrageous color – one that my husband will most likely shake his head at – but it’s my dresser for my craft storage. Once I get the craft storage hidden in there and a filing cabinet for secure business and personal documents. I won’t really have a need for shelves on the wall  and we won’t have tons of clutter – just office supplies by the desk.

I’m thinking something like this dresser . . .

23ca8ae7ae3c318a36b8015039a605ae

Since it’ll be mostly my virtual assistant office it’s going to have a fun, bright, and airy feely to it. I’m sure my husband will love the feel of it when he comes in . . . but if it were his choice it’ll have a much more mahogany distinguished feel. Think white walls, bright sheer curtains with the windows open, a fun gallery wall of bright prints, with the purple dresser. (both images from apartment therapy)

b164fdc8ad8d7456b382f3ea862dd5c8 bf51e169349998d2fcea1f8e8b3c8832

Here’s what I don’t know . . .

We’ll need two desks . . . and I’d like to have a special table for my sewing machine. The room is plenty big enough for all 3, but I’m trying to be smart about this and find the perfect layout to maximize the space. Our current dining table which I love will be coming into this room, and it would work perfectly as a desk or a sewing table.  But I love the idea of a his and hers desk like this.

dcd4bea595a4ca1e8b61c39a05373f53

So the question is do I spend the money and make the his and hers desk while using our old table as my sewing table . . . or do I just buy one new desk . . .

13972772823_46d5a390d5_o one-project-link-party-5

Wednesday WhimsHumpDayI should be mopping the floor

22 comments

1. I LOVE that his and hers desk–perfect! I also love the eclectic feel of the wall decor. It definitely is bright and airy, two things that make me SUPER happy in a space. Good luck putting it all together. I can’t wait to see what you do with the space.

2. Bonnie says:

Hi Rebekah! I’ve gotta say, I LOVE offices. This was fun to read! I’ve been dreaming up my own office space lately, so it was neat to hear about the process you’re going through with yours. Also, your voice in writing is so fun! Loved the comment about your husband’s computer cord and knowing what pertains to you. haha. 🙂

Bonnie

• rkstark86@gmail.com says:

thank you so much! I worry sometimes that my sarcasm and humor doesn’t come across so it’s sooooo nice to know someone gets it!

3. So fun to be able to plan new areas! We just got all of the stuff we need to make a built in office area and got everything from Ikea, but it was still pricey! I am loving the dresser though…I just got done turning an old one into a tv stand, too. Home projects are so fun!

• rkstark86@gmail.com says:

I love ikea! the closest one to us is 2 hours away so I have a weekend trip planned to get all the stuff we need for the new house! I wish their cabinets were cheaper too!

4. Jenny says:

The husband and I just moved into a new apartment and we’re using the second room as a “study” for the both of us. It’s been a challenge fitting in two desks, a chair and all the other stuff that just doesn’t fit in the other rooms. We ended up using his big desk, and then I got a little desk for my blogging. I am really utilizing shelves for all my storage, but it’s been fun thinking up ways we can arrange the furniture to work best for us. I say trying to use what you have to start off. If it doesn’t work, then invest in a bigger desk or workspace!

• rkstark86@gmail.com says:

our apartment office ended up being a catch all for the stuff we didn’t want to part with, but didn’t match anywhere else. That’s probably why I never felt motivated in there. But if I would have tried a little harder or we would have been there longer than a year I would have found a way. good luck!

• rkstark86@gmail.com says:

i love your desk! my main concern is the cabinets also (they’re so expensive) I’d love to see how you made them.

5. Jessica says:

I’m pretty much in love with all things organized, and that his-and-hers desk is the cutest thing ever! That’s a tough decision though…I hope you make a post when it’s all done though! I’d love to see it. 🙂

• rkstark86@gmail.com says:

before and afters are my favorite home décor posts so it will be definitely be here hopefully near the beginning of next month.

6. The his/hers desk idea is great, I wonder (for our personal style) if it would actually have enough surface space. Although I haven’t put very much thought into it, we’ll be needing to design a work/office space too. I’m not sure if it’ll be separate from crafting or not…but I’m beginning to think not, so that means figuring a way to put both. Sounds like you’re doing the same with your space. Keep at it, I’m sure the right configuration will come soon enough! 🙂

Swinging by from Hump Day Happenings!

• rkstark86@gmail.com says:

ours will be the length of our wall which is about 10ft I think . . . so each space will be 4-5ft depending on what shelving we have in the middle. for us that should be enough (?)

7. Megan Walker says:

I think whatever you can visualize loving long-term, even if it may cost a little more money. I have learned investing in your home is an important part of being happy there. Thanks for sharing on Hump Day Happenings!